Seeds are tiny, magical packets of latent energy and potential, ready to burst forth when conditions are right. They contain the very essence of Life itself: ancient wisdoms and future hopes, exquisitely designed to adapt and evolve as needs arise.
Part of Earthfire’s mission is to be a seed center. Here we gather selections of what we would like to see to germinate, take root, and unfurl into the light; stories that educate, inspire, inform and embrace hope and action. We invite you to partake, swap and share them. May they all bear fruit.
- The Lancet Commission on Obesity recently published a major study that aims to cause a “radical rethink” of degenerative farm and food production systems.
- A 12-year-old girl has challenged the Pope to go vegan for Lent in exchange for $1 Million for the charity of his choice.
- A new study by the University of Copenhagen investigates how our ethical beliefs affect the way we interact with animals.
- Researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology and Osaka City University have discovered that fish can recognize themselves in a mirror, suggesting a higher sense of self-awareness than previously thought possible.
- A woman in Washington documented this incredible moment when a hummingbird tried to save his mate from a frozen feeder.
- Photographer Isa Leshko has created a heartwarming photo collection of animals who have been allowed to grow old on farm sanctuaries.
- In a landmark case, a horse named Justice is suing his former owner for neglect. Please note: While we strive to only post positive, uplifting, and encouraging stories on the Earthfire Seed Swap, this post does contain some graphic images. The story is a hopeful one, though, and the images of Justice after his rehabilitation are truly inspiring.
- We recently learned that bees can count. Now we know that they can also learn to add and subtract.
- Artist Patrick Cabral creates stunning portraits of animals out of cut paper.
- Volvo has developed a “living seawall” to encourage natural biodiversity in Sydney Harbor.
What stories have inspired you this week?
We’d love to hear about them! Share them in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
Read past Seed Swap posts here.