Seeds are tiny, magical packets of latent energy and potential, ready to burst forth when conditions are right. They contain the very essence of Life itself: ancient wisdoms and future hopes, exquisitely designed to adapt and evolve as needs arise.
Part of Earthfire’s mission is to be a seed center. Here we gather selections of what we would like to see to germinate, take root, and unfurl into the light; stories that educate, inspire, inform and embrace hope and action. We invite you to partake, swap and share them. May they all bear fruit.
- The Lancet Commission on Obesity recently published a major study that aims to cause a “radical rethink” of degenerative farm and food production systems.
- A 12-year-old girl has challenged the Pope to go vegan for Lent in exchange for $1 Million for the charity of his choice.
- A new study by the University of Copenhagen investigates how our ethical beliefs affect the way we interact with animals.
- Researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology and Osaka City University have discovered that fish can recognize themselves in a mirror, suggesting a higher sense of self-awareness than previously thought possible.
- A woman in Washington documented this incredible moment when a hummingbird tried to save his mate from a frozen feeder.
- Photographer Isa Leshko has created a heartwarming photo collection of animals who have been allowed to grow old on farm sanctuaries.
- In a landmark case, a horse named Justice is suing his former owner for neglect. Please note: While we strive to only post positive, uplifting, and encouraging stories on the Earthfire Seed Swap, this post does contain some graphic images. The story is a hopeful one, though, and the images of Justice after his rehabilitation are truly inspiring.
- We recently learned that bees can count. Now we know that they can also learn to add and subtract.
- Artist Patrick Cabral creates stunning portraits of animals out of cut paper.
- Volvo has developed a “living seawall” to encourage natural biodiversity in Sydney Harbor.